Subject: Re: [boost] [git help] GitHub boostorg library authentication
From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-28 09:47:46

On 28 October 2013 13:23, Julian Gonggrijp <j.gonggrijp_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Beman Dawes wrote:
>
>> To test the modular boost docs I'm writing, I did this:
>>
>> git clone --recursive https://github.com/boostorg/boost.git modular-boost
>> cd modular-boost
>> ./bootstrap.sh
>> ./b2 headers
>> cd libs/system
>> git checkout develop
>> # did a simple edit of one file
>> git commit -a -m "my bug fix"
>> git push origin develop
>>
>> Everything ran as expected until the last step, which resulted in this:
>>
>> Username for 'http://github.com':
>>
>> That's a problem. Authentication needs to happen automatically.
>>
>> What steps did I miss?
>
> You probably want to use git_at_[hidden]:boostorg/boost.git as the
> remote URL. You will then authenticate automatically with your
> public key (assuming you have push access to boostorg).

He's trying to push a submodule, not the main repo. The urls of the
submodules are set in the super-project, so the user can't choose
them. The super-project can't use github's git urls as they don't
allow anonymous access. I believe the super-project should be using
https for submodules, rather than http. That can probably be fixed in
Boost2Git. Passwords for https can be stored using password caching:

https://help.github.com/articles/set-up-git#password-caching

But if you'd rather use git urls in order to use your ssh key, you can
use git's 'insteadOf' configuration option.