Subject: Re: [boost] [build] bootstrap.sh is still broken
From: Eric Niebler (eniebler_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-28 18:41:10

On 10/28/2013 2:52 PM, niXman wrote:
> Eric Niebler 2013-10-29 01:22:
>> Forgive the stupid question, but shouldn't you be using bootstrap.sh
>> from the MSYS prompt instead of bootstrap.bat from the DOS prompt?
>
> Why should I install the posix emulator only in order to build boost?
> I use boost starting from 1.41 version, and have always built it using
> bootstrap.bat

Why use the posix emulator? Why use mingw at all? I confess to be
totally n00b about this stuff, but if you want to build boost using gcc
on windows, it would seem to make sense to me to install mingw and then
do things The Mingw Way, no?

Some observations:

1) There is a bootstrap.bat both at $BOOST_ROOT and and
$BOOST_ROOT/tools/build/v2. They are different. Are we all taking about
the same one? Which one should I be using (and why do we have two)?

2) Stephan's mingw distribution doesn't include gcc. I'm wondering how
he expects things to work.

Confused.

--
Eric Niebler