Subject: Re: [boost] [asio] Bug: Handlers execute on the wrong strand (Gavin Lambert).
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-30 19:12:19

On 26/10/2013 11:09, Quoth Niall Douglas:
> lockfree::queue isn't actually hugely performant. Most lock free code
> isn't compared to most lock based implementations because you gain in
> worst case execution times by sacrificing average case execution
> times. The only major exception is lockfree::spsc_queue which is
> indeed very fast by any metric.

Yes, I know that. As I said my implementation only barely uses the
queue anyway. (I was thinking about using an MPSC queue for the strand
implementation, since it's the heaviest queue user, MPSC is all it
should require, and I do have one handy -- but so far that's not my
bottleneck so I haven't worried about it too much.)

I still generally find that being able to complete work without context
switching is a massive win over running into a lock-wall, even if the
individual work takes longer on average to complete.

> ASIO is, once you compile it with optimisation, really a thin wrapper
> doing a lot of mallocs and frees around Win IO completion ports. Any
> latency spikes are surely due to either IOCP or the memory allocator
> causing a critical section to exceed its spin count, and therefore go
> to kernel sleep?

No, the latency was very definitely coming from *some* instance of
either boost::asio::detail::mutex or boost::asio::detail::static_mutex.
  I didn't trace it down any further than that.

(As far as the memory allocator goes, I'm actually using nedmalloc --
which I know isn't lock-free but it's pretty decent at avoiding lock
contention. And I had that instrumented too and there were no memory
allocation locks around the time when the latency occurred.)

My application was using an io_service with 6-8 threads, and a large
number of serial_ports each with their own io_strand and deadline_timer.
  The deadline_timer is cancelled and restarted most of the time rather
than being allowed to expire -- but this shouldn't be unusual behaviour
for a timeout.