Subject: Re: [boost] A bike shed (any colour will do) on greener grass...
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-31 17:06:37

On 31 Oct 2013 at 11:59, Steven Watanabe wrote:

> No automated system can correctly distinguish between
> - serious bug
> - minor bug
> - user error
> - "yeah, it would be nice. I might get to it someday"
> - &c.

Such a system isn't looking for that - rather, it is looking for any
activity by the maintainer at all. Comments, for example, count.

The most important thing, I think, is detecting user frustration and
anger. If a library is seeing a lot of new issues containing
frustration, that is a good sign a closer look is needed. I agree
that coding up the appropriate Bayesian filters is probably a bit
hard ... but I did read somewhere about some Google web service API
which can be used to grok text for sentiments.

Anyway, this is all surely many years out after modularisation has
been around for a while.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/