Subject: Re: [boost] [modularization] Dependency toBoost.Exceptionunavoidable?
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-01 18:42:27

Daniel Pfeifer wrote:
> When I don't want to use Boost.Exception (BOOST_EXCEPTION_DISABLE), or
> don't want to use exceptions at all (BOOST_NO_EXCEPTIONS), I have
> my_app -> your_library -> utility. It should stop there.

Ah, I see. I was thinking in terms of automatic dependency resolution, so
that fetching Utility will end up fetching Exception anyway because it has
no idea what your macro definitions are going to be. But if you're just
fetching modules manually one by one, then yes. Whether the end result will
be in your favor is another story - Utility may well be a larger repo than
Exception.

> I was referring to <boost/exception/exception.hpp>. This should not be
> needed when BOOST_NO_EXCEPTIONS is defined, as throw_exception takes
> std::exception, not boost::exception.

It's not, as far as I can see.