Subject: Re: [boost] [modularization] Modularizing Boost (modularization)
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-05 13:18:13

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Vicente J. Botet Escriba <
vicente.botet_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> This forced me to use boost::chrono, which forced me to use boost::thread
>> instead of std::thread because the time-related interface aren't
>> compatible
>> and require tons of casting.
>>
> Andrey Semashev is working on this sens, to allow std::chrono interface
> and other in Boost.Sync, but I don't know if/when this could be usable in
> Boost.Thread.

Nice! I didn't realize that this was part of the workon Boost.Sync.

> I would like to know what other have already done to try to use std or
> boost conditionally.

I tried it quickly at some point in my project which don't have yet an
interface compatibility problem (but will once released).
I ended up just using directly either boost or std where appropriate, std
in priority - boost otherwise, in a consistent fashion,
because they also have sometime different behaviours and capabilities. I
prefer to force myself to check all the code I want to change between thes
libraries so that I have to take into consideration the differences.
However, I suspect not everybody will take business time to do this.