Subject: Re: [boost] compile thread(boost1.55) fail on vc7.1
From: Ben Pope (benpope81_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-13 02:11:56

On 13/11/13 06:31, Tom Kent wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Ion Gaztañaga <igaztanaga_at_[hidden]>wrote:
>
>> So I understand that Visual 7.1 should be supported and the report it's a
>> bug.
>
> It is in the supported list, but if you look further down, there are no
> tests running against 7.1. I guess this means we'll accept bugs against it
> but make no claims to its being able to run out of the box?

Yeah, that sounds right. The list of minimum requirements don't really
imply "supported" in the sense that all features of all libraries are
expected to work. It means what it says, "Support was removed" for
older versions, which, given their age and the reasons for bumping the
requirements, means that they won't work.

As you said, further down that page (the bottom), primary test compilers
and additional test compilers are listed. It's hard to support
compilers that are not running tests. Parties interesting in having
support for a compiler should consider supporting a test runner for said
compiler.

On a side note, I don't think Rene meant to add my Clang-3.4 results to
the list of primary test compilers as it's not released yet. I'm also
testing with gcc-4.8.2 now, although that changed happened late in the
release cycle (after the first beta if I recall).

Ben