Subject: Re: [boost] [build] File / path lengths difficult to manage on Windows
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-13 17:46:24

On 14/11/2013 06:31, Quoth Niall Douglas:
> I would report this as a bug to 7zip. The MAX_PATH limit is purely
> for backwards compatibility only, and every Win32 API can easily take
> 32k paths by prepending a magic marker.

There are some downsides to this, such as losing current directories and
relative paths. (Also, there are many applications that still only use
the ANSI APIs, which do not accept the magic marker.)

Having said that, 7zip is the sort of program that shouldn't have
trouble with any of that. (But it still might make building or browsing
the documentation harder later on.)