Subject: Re: [boost] [TypeIndex] Peer review period for library acceptance begins, ending Thurs 21st Nov
From: Antony Polukhin (antoshkka_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-16 13:15:18

2013/11/16 Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>

> On Saturday 16 November 2013 19:46:25 Antony Polukhin wrote:
> > 2013/11/16 Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>

 <...>

I don't think there's any use for template_index, as I outlined in my
> review.
> type_index already has all the functionality and should work whether or not
> RTTI is enabled.

template_index and type_index are two different types intentionally. It's
the last attempt to notify user that he has done something wrong:

// This is an interface of some library. Library is compiled without RTTI,
// user uses this header with RTTI on.
void some_function(boost::type_index& ti);

If template_index and type_index are two different types and
BOOST_TYPE_INDEX_FORCE_NO_RTTI_COMPATIBILITY is not defined, then user will
get a linker error on GCC. If those two classes were exactly the same type,
there'll be no link error. But user will get undefined behavior with hard
detectable errors.

Thanks for very good advices and a big review!

--
Best regards,
Antony Polukhin