Subject: [boost] Post-git forking process
From: Sohail Somani (sohail_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-22 14:41:21

Hey all,

Often, I find bugs in Boost that I need to patch manually before the
next release. What I used to do before was keep a copy of Boost in my
source tree which made this easier: just patch it directly. This made it
easy to modify, but annoying to post patches and honestly, they just got
lost most of the time.

With Git, it should become easier to contribute said patches as well as
pull in whichever particular changes I need. However when I attempted
such a fork recently, I was a bit lost. As I understood it, the process
should have been:

1. Create a fork of https://github.com/boostorg/boost and use this fork
in my project

2. Create a fork of the library/libraries I wanted to patch

3. Update the submodules in my boostorg/boost fork to point to my forked
libraries

4. Post a pull request for the respective libraries. Once the changes
have been accepted, point back to the official boostorg repo

I failed terribly, no doubt due to PEBKAC. Is there a chance that
someone could write a tutorial or a how-to guide for the recommended
process of forking Boost with Git? The main thing I need is the ability
to have a patched version of Boost that I can use while the patches are
being reviewed/accepted/rejected.

Thanks,

Sohail