Subject: Re: [boost] Post-git forking process
From: Sohail Somani (sohail_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-22 16:20:29

On 11/22/2013, 3:38 PM, Klaim - Joël Lamotte wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 8:41 PM, Sohail Somani<sohail_at_[hidden]>wrote:
>
>> >I failed terribly, no doubt due to PEBKAC. Is there a chance that someone
>> >could write a tutorial or a how-to guide for the recommended process of
>> >forking Boost with Git? The main thing I need is the ability to have a
>> >patched version of Boost that I can use while the patches are being
>> >reviewed/accepted/rejected.
>
> Could you clarify at which point in the process do you observe failure?

Good question. The first thing I noticed was EOL-related issues which
prevented me from (I think) checking out different branches. For
example, bootstrap.bat was "modified" even though I had never touched it
after a clone. Eventually, I got past this somehow but I can't remember
how. I was checking out on a Mac.

In terms of how I failed, it was more along the lines of not
understanding Git submodules properly. Although I'm going off memory, I
believe the submodules file had some sort of relative path like
../serialization.git. I tried to change these to my own fork URL but
after that, I could not figure out how to update the modules because
some modules used the relative path and some used my own fork's path. I
wish I had the right error for you but I don't since it was a couple of
weeks back.

I am no Git expert, clearly, but I know that there are a simple set of
steps to do what I need done. Someone just needs to figure out the magic
steps. If you want to suggest some specific steps, I can try them over
the weekend if I have time.

Thanks,

Sohail