Subject: Re: [boost] Post-git forking process
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-22 17:27:00

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 10:47 PM, Sohail Somani <sohail_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> Thanks, but how would you share this repo with the rest of your team
> members? At the very least, build machines. They would not be very amenable
> to cloning a repo from dev machines. In this case, you'd need to fork the
> boostorg/boost repo, correct?

You should fork

 A. the super repository. boostorg/boost, which will give you a way to
modify which submodules are used;
 B. the specific library
Fork them either on github or in a place available to your team, as long as
they can access it it's fine.

Then locally:
1. clone your boost super fork;
 2. in this clone, change the address of the submodule you want to use your
own library fork with;
 3. this is a change, commit it, then push it up to your fork;
 4. now your boost super repo fork is pointing to your sub library fork as
a submodule, instead of the official repository of this library;
 5. this one I'm not sure is necessary: now pull from your fork and make
sure your local version is using the right submodule address (to your
library fork);
 6. each time you want to upgrade any of these forks, you'll need to pull
from the original repositories and then merge with your changes;
 7. if the forks are on github, indeed you can easily submit pull requests
but still continue with your version if it's not accepted yet or ever;

Unfortunately I can't check if all these steps works right now but will do
it in a bit more than a week.