Subject: Re: [boost] [Container] Priority Deque - Refinement
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-23 21:30:29

AMDG

On 11/23/2013 10:20 AM, Nathaniel McClatchey wrote:

> I've recently made a double-ended priority queue (priority deque) publicly
> available at https://github.com/nmcclatchey/Priority-Deque , with the
> intent of submitting it to Boost (more specifically, I wish to make it part
> of Boost.Container). I would appreciate any comments, discussion, or
> refinements.

- Please consider (and document) the exception
safety guarantees that you provide. From a
brief glance at the code, I suspect that
merge and push, at least can leave an invalid
heap if they throw.
- You're going to need a lot more tests. In
particular, you need to check that pushing
and popping values gives the correct results,
not just that the priority_deque's invariants
hold.

> <snip>
>
> A specific question for anyone more experienced with development of
> generalized code:
> * I added several functions for controlled access to arbitrary elements. Is
> this overkill? If so, should they be removed?

I assume that you're referring to begin_mutable,
end_mutable, and make_valid? What I'd actually
prefer to see is for this to be implemented as
algorithms akin to std::push_heap and std::pop_heap.
That way priority_deque is just a thin wrapper, and
those who need more functionality can easily build
their own.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe