Subject: Re: [boost] [conversion] Isolating the phantom file changes problem
From: Philippe Vaucher (philippe.vaucher_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-27 04:43:37

Excuse my ignorance, but why do we need to set attributes about eol or even
suggest auto.crlf=true ? Why can't this be managed at the editor level?

My point is that I never understood the logic about autoconvertion of line
endings. Of course it'll report modified files if you use autoconvertion,
it's what you are asking the tool to do! I understand the idea ist that
then the tool ignores line ending differences but it sounds very kludgy to
me.

A better idea imho would be to enforce line endings in some
pre-commit/pre-push hook, and convert all existing files prior to these
hooks, but do we really want to enforce such a thing?

My 0.02$
Philippe