Subject: Re: [boost] [conversion] Isolating the phantom file changes problem
From: Cox, Michael (mhcox_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-28 03:49:28

In addition to re-normalizing the line endings, we could also start
enforcing coding standards, e.g. tabs converted to spaces standard via
gitconfig/gitattribute filters. Git allows you to define filters in your
.git/config or ~/.gitconfig file and specifying their use in
.gitattributes, e.g. in .gitconfig:

# Convert tabs to 4 spaces (uses Linux expand/unexpand commands, so not
cross-platform)
[filter "tabspace"]
    smudge = unexpand --tabs=4 --first-only
    clean = expand --tabs=4 --initial

Then in .gitattributes:

# Code formats
*.c text filter=tabspace
*.cpp text filter=tabspace
*.h text filter=tabspace
*.hpp text filter=tabspace
*.ipp text filter=tabspace
*.tpp text filter=tabspace

On a related topic, what is the svneol .gitattribute being used in the
.gitattributes file do? I couldn't find it documented (I discovered the
filter attribute while searching for the svneol attribute). Also, the mime
type specified in a # comment following some attribute rule specification
doesn't seem to be a supported syntax, i.e. the '#' has to be in the first
column.

Michael