Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Line endings in bootstrap.bat on Windows
From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-28 06:54:38

On 28 November 2013 11:35, Philippe Vaucher <philippe.vaucher_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Do people really want this behavior? It looks so hacky/kludgy to me. I
> mean, nowadays all editors can happily edit files with LF or CRLF and save
> them that way too. What do you gain from that behavior, except extra
> configuration of the tools and more headaches? I understand from where this
> feature comes from, back in the days where editors couldn't handle
> different line endings, but this is not the case anymore.

Nowadays line ending problems aren't with text editors. Some unix
tools require LF for end of line, and on windows batch files require
CRLF. And they often don't fail gracefully. The files where this is a
problem are mainly platform specific files, although also SVG files
because subversion treats them as binary files.

We can get this right by setting the gitattributes files to something
appropriate and normalizing the repos (most repos are actually fine
already). But there will be issues with checking out old versions.
There are a few approaches to fixing this, but Beman isn't keen on
delaying conversion further. Most people don't use old versions so it
won't be a big problem, and if they wish to they can use the read only
subversion repo, or normalise an older version themselves.