Subject: Re: [boost] [conversion] Enforcing tabs to spaces conversions and other git goodies.
From: Cox, Michael (mhcox_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-28 15:19:51

Michael

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 8:06 AM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 5:00 AM, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > On 28 November 2013 08:49, Cox, Michael <mhcox_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > > In addition to re-normalizing the line endings, we could also start
> > > enforcing coding standards, e.g. tabs converted to spaces standard via
> > > gitconfig/gitattribute filters. Git allows you to define filters in your
> > > .git/config or ~/.gitconfig file and specifying their use in
> > > .gitattributes, e.g. in .gitconfig:
> > >
> > > # Convert tabs to 4 spaces (uses Linux expand/unexpand commands, so not
> > > cross-platform)
> > > [filter "tabspace"]
> > > smudge = unexpand --tabs=4 --first-only
> > > clean = expand --tabs=4 --initial
> > > [...]
> >
> > ...automatically behind the scene? Scary!
> >
> > IMHO, this belongs to commit hooks.
> >
> > Qt's sanitize-commit may be a good example
> >
> > https://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qtrepotools/source/b69da7d675774be14027808328eaf86086b6e09a:git-hooks
> >

> Michael and Mateusz,
>
> Yes - sanitizing and commit hooks are important topics. But the way to
> handle them is to start a new thread so that they don't get lost in the
> line-ending bicycle shed discussion.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Beman
Mateusz,

I agree hooks have to be used for the "golden" boostorg repositories
since folks may forget to configure their local/public repositories
with the appropriate hooks/filters, but if Boost goes fully
distributed like Linux, there may be a lot of integration repositories
a change flows through on it's way to boostorg and it's probably best
to get the code normalized as soon as possible.

Michael