Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Line endings in bootstrap.bat on Windows
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-28 23:18:47

On 28 Nov 2013 at 10:14, Beman Dawes wrote:

> > We can get this right by setting the gitattributes files to something
> > appropriate and normalizing the repos (most repos are actually fine
> > already). But there will be issues with checking out old versions.
> > There are a few approaches to fixing this, but Beman isn't keen on
> > delaying conversion further. Most people don't use old versions so it
> > won't be a big problem, and if they wish to they can use the read only
> > subversion repo, or normalise an older version themselves.
> >

> +1

In which case, we merge https://github.com/ryppl/Boost2Git/pull/42
and run one last conversion. All commits made to Boost since the SVN
pre-commit hooks were added will be converted losslessly (i.e. last
few years worth of commits). All commits preceding this where the
EOLs do not match the file extension in the .gitattributes will be
forced to the EOL specified in .gitattributes. For those test files
in sandbox where deliberate mismatched EOLs are part of a test suite,
those files will be irretrievably forced to correct EOL and therefore
the unit tests will fail. Other similar loss of data may occur in
files committed a long time ago.

This is therefore the choice for the Boost community:

(i) Correct EOLs in all commits made last few years AND accept some
data loss in prior (mostly ancient) commits

OR

(ii) mismatched EOLs during Boost checkout from git on Windows.

OR

(iii) Someone in the Boost community comes up with something better
which can be implemented before the permanent switch over next week.

Your choice, as Dave pointed out. We need consensus from this list on
what to do.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/