Subject: Re: [boost] [regression] OK to merge? Should tools/regression be a submodule?
From: Peter A. Bigot (pab_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-02 11:43:24

On 01/02/2014 08:50 AM, Beman Dawes wrote:
> * The directory tools/regression/src/report was missing from svn
> branches/release, so it is also missing from modular boost master. Although
> I haven't checked, that probably means the are other unmerged changes in
> develop.
>
> OK to merge develop to master (after suitable testing?)
>
> * Should tools/regression be a submodule? Does anyone remember why it
> remains a part of the super-project? If we are going to convert
> tools/regression to a submodule, should we do it now or wait until the dust
> settles?

I see that the discussion of super-project workflow has been re-opened,
but have not had a chance to review the updated document in detail.

As that discussion is underway, I think both proposals to change master
are premature. I strongly object to destabilizing the super-project
master branch, and I cannot see how cherry-picking from develop into it,
and factoring submodules out of it, would not do exactly that. The
stability requirements imposed on module master branches---that they
always be in a releasable state---apply even more so to the
super-project master branch. If anything, the merge should be from
master to develop, then a wholesale merge from develop to master.

(I do not mean that the master branch can be merged to only to create a
release; I mean that the head of the master branch at all times should
meet basic releasibility requirements including interoperability and
successful regression tests on all supported platforms.)

Peter