Subject: Re: [boost] [git] How to create a new submodule from existing submodule components?
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-02 16:07:11

Peter A. Bigot wrote:
> Am I correct in understanding that the purpose of this thread is not to
> solicit instructions for how to extract a subtree with history into a
> separate git repository, but rather what consensus and requirements are to
> be applied to adding a new module and removing its functionality from
> another module?

My original question was intended to be technical, not administrative. I
wanted to know what are the technical steps that need to be undertaken for a
new submodule to be added to the superproject, and whether the fact that the
new submodule has files that collide with an existing submodule would
complicate matters (because this will create a small window in which, say,
boost/assert.hpp will be present in both Boost.Asset and Boost.Utility).

A similar procedure will probably need to be performed each time a new
library is added, so it might be worth it to have it documented.

Since only release managers have access to the superproject, it will be one
of them who will need to actually add the new module.