Subject: Re: [boost] [github] default PR destination
From: tim (tim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-05 09:51:35

> Now: Of the four pull requests I submitted, three were based off
> develop, and one off master, but that's not representative because I
> assumed develop was more stable and decoupled than it is. The last one
> (regex) I did off master, and I expect that most future ones will also
> be off master. Only when I'm acting as a Boost contributor (e.g. the
> string_ref enhancements for utility) would I create a workspace that
> checks out all the develop branches and make the extra effort to test
> what I've done against that as opposed to the stable system for which I
> need the change.
>
> So most of my future pull requests will be based off tags on the master
> branch.

from my understanding the svn policy was that changes *have* to go to
trunk before they can be merged to the release branch. reason changes
should not be merged to master(==release) before tests on
develop(==trunk) have cycled. even if a contribution is based on
"master" it should go to "develop" first.

now if a contributor issues a PR to the master branch, the PR
circumvents the testfarm, which imho is a bad thing and should
definitely not be the default.
all your arguments about checking the git history are fine, but simply
don't apply in the case that master==release.

tim