Subject: Re: [boost] [github] default PR destination
From: Peter A. Bigot (pab_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-05 10:44:06

On 01/05/2014 09:34 AM, Peter A. Bigot wrote:
> On 01/05/2014 08:50 AM, Peter Dimov wrote:
>> Peter A. Bigot wrote:
>>> The last one (regex) I did off master, and I expect that most future
>>> ones will also be off master.
>>
>> What is a developer supposed to do with a pull request against master?
>
> Pull the branch to a local repository, merge it into develop, test it,
> and reject or approve it. Normal git practice: see
> https://help.github.com/articles/merging-a-pull-request under "Merging
> locally".

If master and develop do not share commits (as I believe they will not
under git-flow): branch off develop, merge the pull request to the
branch, then rebase it on develop, preserving the contributor
information but also making it clean. Again, this is something that is
trivial for the developer to do and more than should be expected of
contributing users. This sort of thing is exactly what git-rebase is for.

Peter