Subject: Re: [boost] [github] default PR destination
From: Peter A. Bigot (pab_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-05 13:14:08

On 01/05/2014 11:03 AM, Daniela Engert wrote:
> Am 04.01.2014 12:51 schrieb Tim Blechmann:
>> any opinion to change the default branch from "master" to "develop"?
>>
> If you're sharing the same point of view as GitHub (and me, btw) that
> the 'default' branch is the primary focus of all contributions (that
> includes the maintainers), then it's just natural to set 'default' =
> 'develop'. It follows the Boost development model, it's explicit about
> intent, and it doesn't confuse contributors with their GitHub interactions.

OK, I give. I agree that new features and major changes, whether from
maintainers or contributing developers, should be submitted in pull
requests based on develop. Nothing I wrote was intended to imply
otherwise. Boost is using GitHub, and subtle differences in roles just
confuse people, so let's stick with the Boost developer perspective.

Then it should be Boost policy that all boost modules set the default
branch to develop. This means anybody cloning the repository will have
the develop branch checked out by default, including the super-project
if the policy applies there as well.

My user-level fix-problem-in-stable-release-and-provide-patch use case
stands, and experience will show whether maintainers are willing to
accept simple bug-fix pull requests that are based on master. I hope
that such patches will not be summarily rejected solely because they
require an little extra effort from the maintainer, since the
contributor's already put in the effort to isolate the issue and propose
a solution.

Peter