Subject: Re: [boost] [git] An ignore file for the top-level repository?
From: Peter A. Bigot (pab_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-07 08:11:39

On 01/07/2014 05:36 AM, Daryle Walker wrote:
> I cloned a copy of the git version of the top-level Boost repository, which recursively added the individual libraries. The directions added two commands to run boot-strapping and build scripts. I had to set up an ".gitignore" file so the GUI GitHub app won't complain about those synthesized files. Shouldn't there already be an ignore file there that does this? (You only list the top-level files & directories; nested files automatically get ignored too.)
> I couldn't sync (i.e. upload) the ignore-file since I don't have write access for the top-level repository. So I'll get a conflict once someone does add an ignore file for everyone?

An alternative to using .gitignore (which is in the controlled
directories) is to edit .git/info/exclude (which is private to the
workspace, and will not conflict with upstream
additions/removals/changes to a .gitignore file). I have no idea if
GitHub's GUI application provides access to that file, though.

I would prefer that these files not be added to a new .gitignore in the
superproject. I find it convenient to be able to do "git clean -fd ."
to remove all the derived files; the equivalent of "make distclean" in
other systems. If those files are in .gitignore, I have to use "git
clean -fdx ." which is far more likely to delete something I care about
(e.g., a TODO list that I'd put in my .git/info/exclude).

Peter