Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Fiber review January 6-15
From: Nat Goodspeed (nat_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-07 17:05:31

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 4:32 PM, Niall Douglas <s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 7 Jan 2014 at 19:35, Oliver Kowalke wrote:

> > I've not done
> > performance tests, sorry

> I appreciate and understand this. However, I must then ask this: is
> your library ready to enter Boost if you have not done any
> performance testing or tuning?

I don't have a C10K problem, but I do have a code-organization
problem. Much essential processing in a large old client app is
structured (if that's the word I want) as chains of callbacks from
asynchronous network I/O. Given the latency of the network requests,
fibers would have to have ridiculous, shocking overhead before it
would start to bother me.

I think that's a valid class of use cases. I don't buy the argument
that adoption of Fiber requires performance tuning first.