Subject: Re: [boost] [github] default PR destination
From: Rich E (reakinator_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-08 02:02:42

If I were a boost library owner, I would be quite annoyed if someone
submitted a pull request against master, even though regulations stipulate
that all modifications must go through develop in order to cycle through
tests. This can create headache for the maintainer, whose working branch
may be heavily modified.

In my experience maintaining git repos, I would expect contributors to be
up to par with the develop branch. They need to know the changes, else they
may not even be contributing anything useful. If that is too much work for
someone, then that person's code will probably not get merged. Sure, they
can make an issue / bug report or submit a pull request, but I'll at most
cherry pick it to dev and most likely find a better solution myself.

Because of the wide scope in which boost is used, it makes sense for all
pull requests to go through develop, and because of that it also makes
sense that the default PR branch is develop.

cheers,
Rich