Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Fiber review January 6-15
From: Evgeny Panasyuk (evgeny.panasyuk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-10 17:19:27

07.01.2014 20:50, Niall Douglas:
>> boost.fiber uses boost.coroutine (which itself uses boost.context) and
>> >provides
>> >some performance tests for context switching.
> Sure. But it's a "why should I use this library?" sort of thing? If I
> see real world benchmarks for a library, it tells me the author has
> probably done some performance tuning. That's a big tick for me in
> considering to use a library.

I made micro benchmark of Boost.Coroutine some time ago. I was able to
run 400k coroutines in one thread, each had 10KiB of stack (~3.8GiB was
consumed only by stacks). I used simple allocator for stacks:
     return last_free += allocation_size;
Environment was: Windows 7 x64, MSVC2010SP1 x64, Boost 1.53. System had
6GiB of RAM, part of which was consumed by OS and background programs. I
think with proper tuning it is possible to launch more coroutines on
that system.

--
Evgeny Panasyuk