Subject: Re: [boost] [Fibers] Performance
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-16 08:42:05

> > I realize I'm jumping in on a conversation that I'm not involved in
> > but as mostly a user of Boost libraries, I for one would encourage you
> > to think about the users and their needs more than what you the
> > developer think is important. This is one critical piece of feedback
> > you're getting, and I seriously hope you consider prioritizing this in
> > your continued development of Boost.Fiber.
>
> It isn't really user feedback, but feedback from a developer of similar
> functionality, which is something very different.

Yes, it guarantees that the viewpoint expressed by that developer can be
assumed to be well educated as that developer understands the issues
perfectly, probably much better than any user could.

> Pedantically, the developer could also be a user of the library, but their
> main point of view is as a developer of such functionality, and their
> opinions are influenced by that. If they've put a lot of effort into
> something, then it's likely that they will overvalue it. Feedback from
> other developers is of course extremely useful, but the difference should
> be appreciated.

Why is it that there is again this 'selfishness' being silently alleged. Do
you imply that just because I claim to have a better understanding of the
applicability of a particular idiom/library then many others (because I'm
working in the field for years) my opinion is too biased to be considered
useful?

However, I have to admit that I very much would like to replace some of our
code with an external library to lessen our maintenance burden. But alas, as
it seems it will not happen this time.

But I'm tired of this pointless discussion. I'm outa here.

Regards Hartmut
http://boost-spirit.com
http://stellar.cct.lsu.edu