Subject: Re: [boost] [test] Looking for co-developer/maintainer
From: Richard (legalize+jeeves_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-21 12:35:06

boost_at_[hidden] spake the secret code
<loom.20140121T094112-29_at_[hidden]> thusly:

>Richard <legalize+jeeves <at> mail.xmission.com> writes:
>
>> I can take over the library.
>
>Thank you for this concise but generous offer, but I personally am not yet
>convinced this is the best for library future (aside from the fact that I am
>still interested in maintaining it as well ;) )

There is a doc bug revolving around a single character edit that is 5
years old and remains unfixed.
<https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/2717>

There are quite a number of open issues and many of them are quite old:
<https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&component=test&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=time&col=cc&order=priority>

Age Count
5 years 4
4 years 8
3 years 4
2 years 4
1 year 15
6 months 15
< 6 months 16

You have admitted that things you said you were going to do 4 years ago,
you never found time to do them. They were easy (insert some HTML links)
and would have had no negative impact on existing users of the library.

You have admitted that you don't have sufficient time to properly maintain
the library.

You have admitted that you haven't had time to document the new features
that you have added to trunk.

I think it's time to just pass this responsibility to someone else and
make contributions when you have time.

Not being maintainer doesn't mean you can't make contributions. You may
even find it liberating because you can make contributions on your own
schedule without worrying about the boost release schedule or anything
else other than focusing on the contribution itself.

     The Computer Graphics Museum <http://computergraphicsmuseum.org>
  Legalize Adulthood! (my blog) <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>