Subject: Re: [boost] [test] Looking for co-developer/maintainer
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-22 04:30:42

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 1:33 AM, Gennadiy Rozental <rogeeff_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Richard <legalize+jeeves <at> mail.xmission.com> writes:
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> I am not sure why do I need to keep justifying myself for you.
>
>> There is a doc bug revolving around a single character edit that is 5
>> years old and remains unfixed.
>> <https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/2717>
>
> This one is fixed in trunk long time ago.
>
>> There are quite a number of open issues and many of them are quite old:
>> <https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/query?
> status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&component=test&col=id&col=summary
> &col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=time&col=cc&order=priority>
>
> This is just show again that many (if not most) of your claims are baseless
> or based on some misconceptions.
>
> Not everything that is in trac is an issue. There are indeed some long
> standing feature requests (like support for multithreading or performance
> testing). Some repetition. Many opened/reopened tickets for docs fixes,
> which already addressed in trunk, but I did not close them until docs are
> released (it is convinient for me to keep them open as a reminders). There
> are indeed few issues open last half a year, which might need an attention,
> but they are mostly with trunk changes, which you do not care about anyway.
>
>> You have admitted that you don't have sufficient time to properly maintain
>> the library.
>
> I never said that. I may not have enough resources to push new release out
> and develop new features, but I am going to find a way around this, even
> though you are not interested to help.

I'd like to point out that if a bug has been fixed in trunk/develop
but the fix has not been merged to release/master, the bugfix is not
delivered to users and is as good as not fixed. If you fixed a bug in
trunk but didn't find a chance to merge the fix to release for years
then you clearly don't have the resources to properly maintain the
library. "It's been fixed in trunk" is not an excuse.