Subject: Re: [boost] [config] Removing support for old compilers: do we have a consensus yet?
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-22 11:45:07

On 1/22/2014 4:17 AM, John Maddock wrote:
>>> As you know Boost.Config has had it's support for old compilers stripped
>>> out, and this is a controversial change.
>>>
>>> We're now at the point where I'd really like to get the routine
>>> changes/updates into release, but to do that we need a final decision on
>>> whether to keep (and release) Steven Kelly's changes in develop.
>>>
>>> So do we have a final decision?
>>
>> Are you asking just about changes in config or about all Boost
>> libraries instead ?
>
> I'm asking specifically about config - as that effects all other
> libraries - and possibly user code as well.

I am personally for removing support for old compilers. My main argument
is that the simplification in the code makes it easier to understand
Boost source. This may be less so for Config, but is still important. I
do not believe that Boost should have to support compilers which almost
nobody uses anymore, which are not distributed by any major OSs anymore,
and which are not supported by the companies/groups which created the
compiler anymore. At some point the clarity and design of code suffers
by having to create elaborate workarounds for C++ features which any
decent compiler should support.