Subject: Re: [boost] Help please with Boost Discussion Policy
From: Rob Stewart (robertstewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-24 05:33:35

On Jan 23, 2014, at 9:53 AM, Mateusz Łoskot <mateusz_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 23 January 2014 14:12, Niall Douglas <s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> But, one little-big problem remains, even in Outlook 2010: how do you configure preamble to message quotation so it looks properly in the standard format of "John Smith wrote:", like here:

>>> """
>>>
>>> Even with your suggested configuration, Outlook always uses forward-like format:
>>>
>>> """

I notice. Quoting without attribution can lead to confusion. Accessing previous posts on this device is awkward, if they still render (which generally is not the case), so discovering the author of a quote is frequently not possible.

When I do use Outlook, from work, I select the sender's name, from the verbose header block, and then add "wrote:" to form the attribution.

>> You might notice the preamble is missing on this reply too. It's
>> quicker for me to chop more context than less, so I do. I suspect so do most people with high inbound email counts.
>
> Sure thing. I chop things as well, but the preamble is sometimes helpful, especially if a thread has many participants.

Quoting the minimum needed is always a good idea, but removing attributions is a step too far.

___
Rob