Subject: Re: [boost] Boost candidate similar to asyncplusplus
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-24 06:11:16

On 23 Jan 2014 at 19:02, Rodrigo Madera wrote:

> 1) Are there any similar Boost candidates for task scheduling?
> 2) If not, is ASIO up to this with some adaptation?

ASIO has already been extended in this way in proposed Boost.AFIO,
currently in the peer review queue. AFIO does *not* replicate the
syntactic convenience sugar though, so you'll have to do more typing
and binding.

AFIO *has* been intentionally designed to be extended later however
with the right metaprogramming once more solidity emerges at WG21. To
be honest I'm also hoping to reuse Vicente's additions implementing
then() to Boost.Thread rather than duplicating identical
metaprogramming machinery. That said, I may go for a "partial then()"
as early as next week.

> I felt specially inclined to ask this here because of all the
> discussion taking place over the recently reviewed Fibers library and
> the fundamentals of asynchronous processing. Very interesting thoughts
> being discussed there. And something more higher level (but not
> necessarily IO bound) might be helpful.

The work I intend to do to AFIO next week is preparation for
including coroutines support.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work in Ireland.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/