Subject: Re: [boost] [test] Looking for co-developer/maintainer
From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-24 11:16:59

Alexander Lamaison <awl03 <at> doc.ic.ac.uk> writes:

> I'm genuinely curious what aspects of Boost.Test, that Richard ommitted
> to document, you use. Maybe I'm far off the mark, but I doubt many
> people use the extra stuff that is basically an implementation detail.

These are not implementation details at all. The fact that you are not using
them does not make them useless. There are some people (admetedly less then
those who are suing UTF) who need these to be documented.

> One the other hand, Richards version is more complete documentation than
> original for the every-day aspects, such as documenting all the
> undocumented macros that people can use in their test cases.

For example? Which undocumented macros?

Richards, version has some number of pages with Richards view on how one
should be testing things, but these are just views for the most part. We
might want to keep something like this in "suggestions" sections.

> > As it stands, without some adjustments in the attitudes of the major
> > stakeholders here with regards to each other's work, I see little hope
> > of this happening. That is a sad thing as I think their combined
> > effort and respect could have led to much more than two competing
> > efforts is likely to ever do.
>
> Maybe so. But anger is keeping the two groups apart.
>
> One camp is angry that they tried to involve the maintainer, got no
> response, worked hard to solve it themselves, then the maintainer
> reestablishes contact just to object once the work is done. The

This is not true - I told you almost from get go, that we should concentrate
on next release instead.

> maintainer's camp is angry that the others have gone away and decided
> his documentation, which took years to write, is bad and needs replacing
> without his consent.
>
> It's hard to see how to resolve that in a way that satisfies both sides.

In my opinion I have expressed desire to work with anyone on new
documentation, who is willing and interested. This offer still stands.

Gennadiy