Subject: Re: [boost] [algorithm] Review Request: edit_distance
From: Brandon Kohn (blkohn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-29 09:52:01

On 1/28/2014 20:42 PM, Rob Stewart wrote:
> [snip]
> I realize that your documentation is for an algorithm, and not a library, but you would do well to give use cases to which it applies and even flesh out one of them in a tutorial. The example code you supplied merely illustrate usage. Those that don't already understand their need for computing the edit distance will ignore this algorithm without more information.

A few years ago I wrote a fuzzy comparison between strings using edit
distance which was used to merge two databases which shared common
fields (names/addresses) but which had a lot of human errors. Maybe that
would make a great use-case as it illustrates the usefulness of the
algorithm as well as stressing performance characteristics.

Cheers,

Brandon