Subject: Re: [boost] [modular-boost] "b2 headers" behavior on Windows
From: Vyacheslav Andrejev (mortituris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-03 10:44:15

Hello Gennadiy,

GR> I do not really want to delve into details of our makesystem.

But you can try to change a couple of symbols in the file I pointed you to.
It doesn't hurt to try, right?

GR> Really? I did not know that. I used junction.exe and Far to create
GR> links both on XP and Win7 and it worked fine for both files and
GR> directories.

Really. The name “junction.exe” is taletelling: it creates NTFS junction
points, not symbolic links for directories. In contrast to junction points,
by default only Administrators can create symbolic links. You can easily
check it in the local security policies.

b2 tries to create symbolic links by running mklink /D, that is why I suggested
to change /D to /J, which would tell mklink to create junction points, which
in turn doesn't require special privileges.

GR> 1. I need this to work in Far's shell, which is I believe regular
GR> cmd for the
GR> most part.

Far is a file manager, not a command processor. Yes, it is cmd for ALL parts.

GR> I do not believe we need to care about this.

You're absolutely right.

--
Vyacheslav Andrejev