Subject: Re: [boost] [modular-boost] Development procedures
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-03 11:29:54

On 2/3/2014 11:00 AM, Vyacheslav Andrejev wrote:
> Hello Gennadiy,
>
>>> can run "b2 headers" again. If we were using soft links we wouldn't
>>> have this problem, I thought there was consensus to do that, but no
>>> one seems to be doing it.
>>>
> GR> There is no soft links on Windows.
>
> 1. There are soft links in Windows. See documentation for mklink /D.

mklink without any option creates a file symbolic link.

> 2. This is exactly what b2 tries to do: create soft links. Only it
> fails, since in Windows you need elevated privileges by default to do
> this. Then b2 falls back to creating hard links to files, since it
> cannot create soft links to directories.

It does not test whether the user has administrator priveleges or not on
Windows in order to create file symbolic links.

I have brought this issue many times before in various posts. The 'b2
headers' command should always create symbolic links if possible, not
hard links which are problematical in our modular-boos setup. Each time
I have brought up this issue I have been told we are waiting for
modular-boost issues itself to be fully resolved. We are evidently still
waiting.