Subject: Re: [boost] [modular-boost] Dependency specification
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-03 17:10:44

On 3 February 2014 01:33, Gennadiy Rozental <rogeeff_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Daniel James <dnljms <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> > 8. Dependency specification. This actually a big question, which can be
>> > split into several:
>> > 8.1 Is there place where I can see "released versions" for particular
>> > library/submodule?
>>
>> Tags.
>
> Can you please provide a bit more details. For example, if I want to know
> what are released versions of boost.chrono what should I do?

cd libs/chrono
git tag | grep '^boost-[0-9.]*$'

>> > 8.2. Is there way to tell which other boost submodules I depend on?
>>
>> Bcp.
>
> What is the specific command?

I don't know. The bcp documentation can help.

>> > 8.3 Can I specify specific release version I want to depend on (per
>> > submodule)?
>>
>> You can do this manually, or with a bit of scripting.
>
> This is not really adequate answer IMO.

Well, it's the best one I have.

> What I was after is to specify my
> dependency in my Jamfile/CMakefile and make testing framework to figure out
> the rest automatically. Is this realistic/in our plans?

I don't think so. There was ryppl, but that doesn't seem to be making
much progress.

> Even if we are talking only about local testing, I think we need to develop
> set of scripts to help boost developers with these mundane tasks.
>
>> > 8.4 Can I somehow only checkout/pull the submodules I depend on?
>>
>> By combing the last two answers.
>
> The same here: I think we need a scripts to do this.
>
>> > 8.5 Can I check which submodules depend on me and checkout only those?
>>
>> I think you'll need to work that out for yourself.
>
> Why is this difficult? Do we have an information about dependency graph
> somewhere? And again I think we need a scripts to do this.

A few people have done this in different ways, you'll need to search
the archives as I forget the details.

>> > 8.6 Is there place where I can see which submodule version constitute
>> > specific boost release?
>>
>> Tags again.
>
> Script would be helpful.

You can get the hashes using:

git ls-tree -r boost-1.53.0 | grep '^160000 commit'