Subject: Re: [boost] [modular-boost] Development procedures
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-03 20:48:54

AMDG

On 02/03/2014 04:53 PM, Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
> Edward Diener <eldiener <at> tropicsoft.com> writes:
>
>> "1. Why does ./b2 headers on windows creates hardlink for each file instead
>> of directories? The process takes forever."
>
> And answer I was after is not "Let's create symlinks instead". It was "let's
> create any kind of link to *directories*" ;)

Boost.Build will use directory symlinks if it can.
If they're not supported, we can fall back on
using Junctions on Windows. I worked on this a bit
today. It's not too hard, but the b2 builtin,
READLINK, needs to be updated to handle junctions.

> I am sure there must be a reason why we are not doing it now.

The only reason is that it's yet another variation
and I haven't gotten around to it yet.

> I just would
> like to know it, since I missed it in our original discussions.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe