Subject: Re: [boost] [modular-boost] "b2 headers" behavior on Windows
From: Vyacheslav Andrejev (mortituris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-04 01:40:07

Hello Edward,

ED> The issue is not the links to directories. The issue is that there
ED> are hardlinks to individual files in the boost subtree using the
ED> logic of the current 'b2 headers' when run under Windows. This is a
ED> problem because if the original file in the libs directory has been
ED> changed, as for example via some 'pull' from Git, the corresponding
ED> hardlink still points to the old file. So we have a mismatch which
ED> causes errors in testing and Boost development.

The issue *being discussed* is in the links to directories. Here is a quote
from the top post:

GR> 1. Why does ./b2 headers on windows creates hardlink for each file
GR> instead of directories? The process takes forever.

I.e. in Gennadiy case b2 didn't create any links to directories at all and
this is the problem he wanted to solve. You are talking about another, quite
valid problem. Hoewever the existance of the problem you want to discuss
doesn't mean that the one that *we* discuss doesn't exist.

ED> As for directories we already correctly have symbolic links under
ED> Windows.

We don't. Symbolic links on directories in Windows since Vista are created
only with elevated privileges or with turned off UAC and in both cases only
if the user has the correspondent privelege in her security token.

--
Vyacheslav Andrejev