Subject: Re: [boost] SQL: next iteration of sqlpp11
From: Roland Bock (rbock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-05 15:57:51

On 2014-02-05 19:55, Rodrigo Madera wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Roland Bock <rbock_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> OK, very, very short recap:
>>
> Very nice explanation, thanks.
>
> Looks very good. But then again, it's really what I said: duplicate work.
> Competition is good, no doubt about it. But it's duplicate effort
> nonetheless.
Yes, but you see, there are literally hundreds of SQL databases out
there and also hundreds of C/C++ libraries to talk to them. Those are
all big effort. sqlpp11 also is a big effort.

But the connector libraries between sqlpp11 and one of those libraries?
That is mostly glue code, nothing big really. Thus, to have a few more
connector libraries probably is duplicate effort, but is not really a
big deal in comparison, IMHO, since the connectors are rather small.

> Maybe if SOCI creates it's own expression grammar for SQL queries it would
> be a faster and more practical solution, since SOCI has been around for
> quite some time and has solved several issues along the way. And the
> expression tree for SQL queries is the fastest part of such a library. The
> eye candy and sugar should be easy to convert to string and use the SOCI
> engine for it.
>
> Sqlpp11 will still need to reimplement what SOCI has done several years ago.
No. It will not. sqlpp11 will not touch databases, but only glue code...

> So I hope both sqlpp11 and SOCI get their work done and offer us such a
> nice combination. They will inspire each other.
That's the plan, but it will take quite some time, unless someone steps
in to help :-)

Best regards,

Roland