Subject: Re: [boost] SQL: next iteration of sqlpp11
From: Johan Baltié (johan.baltie_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-06 03:26:48

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 11:24 PM, Roland Bock <rbock_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Not sure if I fully understand your meaning, but here are some
> additional comments:

I was just saying that I prefer to have a library where the database
connector is implemented and where you can do classic stuff using raw
strings and having no compile time check and another one built on top
that allows you to have that compile time check/expression tree
builder.

> Lowest common denominator:
> sqlpp11 builds an expression tree. Whoever interprets the expression
> tree can decide how to interpret it and what to accept. So for instance,
> sqlpp11 supports outer join (of course), sqlite3 does not. If you give
> an expression containing an outer join to the sqlite3 connector, a
> static assert will inform you that this won't work. In a multi-database
> connector, you might need to replace the static assert by a runtime
> exception.

That's great I think.

> Can you give me a few examples of the specific things you have in mind?
> I probably won't add them to sqlpp11 directly, but I would like to
> provide the means to add them without pain.

The thing I was thinking of when writing the previous mail was:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/queries003.htm

--
Cheers
Johan