Subject: Re: [boost] [Fibers] Performance
From: Bjorn Reese (breese_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-06 05:27:30

On 02/02/2014 11:05 PM, Gavin Lambert wrote:

> The way to handle that, I would think, would be to have the "public" API
> be more limited in scope (not an identical copy that mostly returns
> not-authenticated errors), and to provide an "async_authenticate"
> request that calls back (single-shot) with an interface that provides
> the complete API.

Authentication is just one example of how the API may need to change its
operational mode dynamically. You could also have a maintenance mode,
a defensive mode (against denial-of-service attacks), a budget vs
premium mode, and so on.

How do I change from defensive mode back to normal mode?

> Again, I'm not saying that Asio-style callbacks are the "best" way of
> implementing RPC or UI models. Just that it's not impossible to do so.

It may just be my lack of imagination, but I cannot see how to do a
mode change with the Asio model.

> (But at some level, you need a serialisation+networking layer to
> actually transfer requests between processes or machines. This can be
> made completely transparent to both server and client, but something has
> to be able to translate all the possible types of request.)

Yes, and that applies to any model, so I am not holding that against
the Asio model.