Subject: Re: [boost] [modular-boost] /boost//headers error
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-07 12:45:03

AMDG

On 02/07/2014 09:25 AM, Thomas Suckow wrote:
> On 02/06/2014 06:57 PM, Steven Watanabe wrote:
>> AMDG

>>> I changed all the references in our project to use implicit-dependency
>>> and that works. It doesn't create the links, but I guess ./b2 headers is
>>> just something I will need to remember to do.
>>>

>> It's supposed to create the links
>> and it seems to work within the Boost
>> tree (for the most part--a few dependencies
>> are missed).
>>

> I did some more experimenting, seems that I should be using more than
> just implicit-dependency as that will only indicate that the target may
> produce files that are included by the sources.

<implicit-dependency> will generate all the links
that are found by the #include scanner. <dependency>
will generate all links unconditionally.

> Adding <dependency>/boost//headers causes the links to be generated,
> though I suspect the include path is being brought in my some other
> means because based on the description of the "features" it seems I
> should not put in <dependency> but instead <use> so the
> usage-requirements are brought across.

<dependency> gives you the usage requirements
as well. <use> gives you the usage requirements,
but does not add a dependency (i.e. <use>/boost//headers will
add -Ipath/to/boost, but won't generate the
headers. <dependency>/boost//headers will
add -Ipath/to/boost and generate all the
headers.).

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe