Subject: Re: [boost] Developing a (nearly new) library possibly to be proposed for Boost
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-10 13:30:17

On 2/10/2014 12:34 PM, Paul A. Bristow wrote:

> [...]

SSH gives me a headache also, so I avoid it <g>.

>> or what I use since I avoid SSH on Windows:
>>
>> git clone https://github.com/MyName/mylibrary.git
>
> This works OK, as I originally expected it to work using Tortoise GIT
>
> I:\modular-boost\libs>git clone https://github.com/Beman/simple.git
> Cloning into 'simple'...
> remote: Reusing existing pack: 12, done.
> remote: Total 12 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0)
> Unpacking objects: 100% (12/12), done.
> Checking connectivity... done.
>
> BUT it doesn't for me as I expected using Tortoise GIT. There is no clone option :-(

I also use Tortoise GIT under Windows and when it can't do something I
have to use the command line. It is not as polished as Tortoise SVN.

> I had hoped to avoid the antediluvian command line ;-)
>
>> Provide a symbolic link to the directory. From the modular-boost boost
>> directory:
>>
>> mklink /d mylibrary ../libs/mylibrary/include/boost/mylibrary
>
> OK - but is the /D option correct and why?
>
> /D creates a symbolic link, or a soft link.
>
> where b2 headers produces hard links (at present).
>
> Is this just a temporary 'feature'?

I have already bored to death everybody on this mailing list by saying
that 'b2 headers' should create symbolic links instead of hard links on
Windows when the end-user has the administrative rights to do so. I
believe Steve Watanabe is on top of this and if it is not working that
way now it will be eventually.

> Thanks for your helpful advices.

You are very welcome.