Subject: [boost] Boost.Log crash - question on consequences of misconfiguration
From: Pieter (PieterB_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-11 14:15:35

LS,

My question regarding Boost.Log is the following: could anything been said
on what to expect when asking Boost.Log to write to a non-existing directory
on a read-only drive? Does it keep trying to write or give up when the
directory cannot be created, and would the user be informed in such a case?

Background: today I ran into a problem using Boost.Log. I configured both a
Console and a TextFile backend (both autoflushing) but happened to configure
the latter wrongly- setting the location of the file on a not-existing
directory on a read-only drive. This caused a program crash under certain
circumstances - but no problems under other circumstances (related to the
configuration of the application which should not be relevant here) - when
it did crash, this happened after a few messages were logged. Crash happened
shortly before program termination but before the main() function was
terminated (for a while I thought I was seeing the problem described in the
docs regarding the boost.filesystem related problem and it took me a while
to learn this was not the case).

Pieter