Subject: Re: [boost] Just another GSoC project idea: Create a Bjam clone based on the Boost libraries
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-16 12:15:12

On 16 Feb 2014 at 16:41, Klaim - Joël Lamotte wrote:

> A quick informative note to complete that: I'm not a CMake advocate or
> against boost being converted to it, but one important change to note with
> CMake compared to b2 is that bootstrapping from just boost
> source code clone would not be possible as it is now (except if you add
> cmake code into boost source repo).

In my past, non-Boost, projects I simply included the CMake output in
the source repo. That solved the bootstrapping problem for those
without CMake installed i.e. usually the end users, not library
developers. I certainly found no problem with this approach, and I've
seen plenty of other open source libraries which bolted on CMake on
top of their preexisting build system do the same.

(My only request is that if you do do this, please stick a great big
auto-generated warning on the top of every bjam file output. I've got
nobbled by my build script changes getting eaten too many times in my
life!)

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work in Ireland.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/