Subject: Re: [boost] GSoC 2014 Implementation of Algorithms for Boost.
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-22 20:52:15

On 22 Feb 2014 at 22:38, Tejas Nikumbh wrote:

> Yep I would appreciate some mentor attention on this thread as well.

Tejas,

The GSoC ideas page lists many precanned GSoC projects written for
students by potential mentors. If none of those interest you, then it
is YOU who must write a suitable GSoC project proposal and ideally it
is YOU who must try to find a potential mentor here willing to mentor
you.

The explanation at the top of the GSoC ideas page is very clear about
this. You should be aware that all student proposals go into a peer
review stage where Boost members vote on proposals, ranking them to
merit. Google then reviews our suggested ranking and can and do alter
it to their own wishes. We are then allocated a certain number of
GSoC slots by Google, and the top X ranked proposals get GSoC
funding.

If your proposal is not of a similar quality to the precanned
proposals written by potential mentors already on the GSoC ideas
page, the chances are that your proposal will not be highly ranked.
This is why it is especially important to start as early as possible
if you wish to propose your own GSoC project. No one will write a
proposal for you - if they did, that proposal would already be on the
GSoC idea page.

I hope this helps.

Niall

---
Boost C++ Libraries Google Summer of Code 2014 admin
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2014