Subject: Re: [boost] [assert] Assert library? - Was: [regression] Where's boost/assert.hpp ??
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-23 07:58:56

On 23/02/14 03:08, Klaim - Joël Lamotte wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 9:39 PM, Andrey Semashev
> <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>wrote:
>
>> It's been moved to a new Boost.Assert library (libs/assert submodule).
>

> Is there a discussion or documentation about what is this new library
> exactly?
> Is it just to isolate the assert.hpp header or are there other plans?
> (I'm secretly hoping that someone would propose an implementation
> of n3877[1] to boost,
> as I don't have the time to do it myself)
>
> [1] http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2014/n3877.pdf

That's a long paper to say "we should have three levels of asserts".
I think it would be more interesting to have another API that is more
scalable if you ever feel like having more levels.

In any case, at the moment Boost.Assert is quite messy in the way that
it handles flags that enable or disable its behaviour.
I filed bugs to suggest fixing it, but it wasn't well received.
Apparently people prefer having plenty of different macros which have
non-obvious interactions with each other instead of a single macro that
always does what's asked.