Subject: Re: [boost] GSoC 2014 Implementation of Algorithms for Boost.
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-23 08:57:23

On 23 Feb 2014 at 12:46, Tejas Nikumbh wrote:

> > The GSoC ideas page lists many precanned GSoC projects written for
> > students by potential mentors. If none of those interest you, then it
> > is YOU who must write a suitable GSoC project proposal and ideally it
> > is YOU who must try to find a potential mentor here willing to mentor
> > you.
>
> I started this thread to discuss a possible project based on the algorithms
> idea written at the bottom of the page. I assumed that the best way to know
> which mentors would be interested in guiding me would be starting a thread.
> Please let me know if I was wrong.

We see lots, and lots of people turn up here promising vague things
and then disappear (they aren't usually students either). If an
unknown person comes here with a well written proposal supported by
facts and references to:

1. Research of prior art i.e. proof that they have researched
alternative implementations in C++ and other libraries

2. Have a well designed, concrete design based on synthesis of the
prior art research. It's great to state known unknowns.

3. Preferably have proof they have successfully written a high
quality STL algorithm implementation before i.e. can supply a link to
an open source copy.

4. They have a demonstrated good work ethic, and are humble and
willing to learn.

Then a student proposal is highly likely to be taken seriously, and
you'll get plenty of feedback on what needs fixing, plus mentors will
volunteer themselves. Miss any of the above factors and no one -
student or otherwise - will be taken seriously here.

> > No one will write a proposal for you - if they did, that
proposal
> > would already be on the
> > GSoC idea page.
>
> Yes, this thread was just an introductory thread so that I could get things
> started. Is this not a good way to introduce? I would definitely go on to
> write a proposal after some discussion, but if I was supposed to write a
> proposal in the introductory thread itself, I'm sorry, I'll do that soon.

I do wish more students would read these same emails posted on this
same list last year, the year before and so on. But every year we
repeat.

> I am new to this thread and the list in general and usually the norm is to
> introduce yourself first, get some reflection from the organization and go
> about working on your idea. I'm sorry if I did anything wrong here. Please
> let me know if I did.

No, you're doing fine. You have coherent English and are polite and
you came here well before the final GSoC deadline, and that's a great
first start.

Niall

---
Boost C++ Libraries Google Summer of Code 2014 admin
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2014